Surprising Natural Aids for This Deadly Disease
Did you know that right now there is a deadly disease in the United States that is quickly turning into an epidemic?
Believe it. Today nearly 30 million people in the US have type 2 diabetes, and that rate is accelerating rapidly. In fact, you may already know someone who has type 2 diabetes, or perhaps you have it yourself.
Diabetes is caused when your body stops making enough insulin, or is unable to use the insulin it produces. When this happens, too much sugar stays in the blood. This can cause serious health issues including death, loss of limbs, blindness, heart disease, and strokes. And that’s just a few of the complications caused by type 2 diabetes.
In today’s article I’m going to explain how diabetes works and share with you some of the natural ways you can fight this aggressive disease.
Carbohydrates Aren’t To Blame
For years a popular myth has circulated which states that carbohydrates are to blame for diabetes. According to that myth the solution to diabetes is simple: eat fewer carbohydrates.
On the surface the myth makes sense. After all, carbohydrates break down into glucose, which is the form of sugar in the blood. If diabetes involves too much blood sugar, then it kind of makes sense that the solution is to eat fewer carbohydrates.
But there’s just one problem. Eating fewer carbohydrates doesn’t solve the problem of diabetes. In fact, low carbohydrate diets actually worsen insulin resistance - which is the cause of diabetes.
Insulin resistance means that the body stops being sensitive to the hormone insulin. Since insulin is responsible for shuttling sugar into cells to produce energy, insulin resistance eventually leads to high levels of sugar in the blood.
But low carbohydrate diets don’t solve that problem. They just lower blood sugar by providing less of it.
Researchers at Oxford University and other prestigious research organizations have shown that actually, high carbohydrate diets are linked with low rates of insulin resistance and diabetes.
Why would that be the case? Well, scientists have shown that high carbohydrate diets improve insulin sensitivity. That means the body becomes better at handling blood sugar.
Conventional Diabetes Treatment Is Counterproductive
Conventional diabetes treatment tries to manage diabetes rather than address the real problem. Diabetes patients are given plans to try and keep blood sugar levels in range, but they aren’t given the tools to reverse insulin resistance - which is the problem.
If carbohydrates aren’t the cause of insulin resistance, then what is?
Well, researchers have found that sugar levels aren’t the only thing that are elevated in diabetes. So are the levels of free fatty acids in the blood.
Free fatty acids are the building blocks of fats, and they can sometimes be used as an alternative source of energy. But the problem is that free fatty acids cause insulin resistance.
So when free fatty acid levels are high, insulin resistance occurs.
Amazingly, studies have shown that drugs that block the release of free fatty acids into the blood can reverse insulin resistance.
Unfortunately, many of those drugs are also toxic. So what is needed are natural ways to reduce free fatty acid levels in the blood.
Natural Ways to Fight Type 2 Diabetes
If you want to protect yourself against diabetes, the good news is that scientific research shows that there are safe and natural ways to do it.
- First of all, eat more fruits and vegetables. Study after study shows that high fruit and vegetable intake dramatically lowers the risk of diabetes. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with healthy nutrients and fiber. The result is lowered inflammation, improved blood sugar control, and better insulin sensitivity, which is a powerful trio of protection against diabetes.
- Cut out the convenience foods. Or at least cut down on them. Researchers have found that convenience foods are engineered to be addictive and they are loaded with unhealthy combinations of things. The worst offenders are snack foods fried in vegetable oils.
- Replace vegetable oils with traditional dietary fats. Unhealthy vegetable oils have long been touted as being good for you. But the scientific consensus is that the omega-6 fats in vegetable oils such as soy, corn, canola, and safflower worsen insulin resistance. Instead, choose traditional dietary fats like coconut, butter, and olive oil.
- Definitely eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils. Those unnatural trans fats have been shown to cause a huge increase in risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Get plenty of moderate exercise. The ideal exercise is low impact such as walking or yard work. Get outside and move daily. At least half an hour each day of walking can dramatically reduce your risk of diabetes.
- Get plenty of sleep each night. Studies have found that men getting less than 7 hours of sleep each night increase their risk of diabetes many times over.
- Get plenty of sunshine. Studies show that naturally-produced vitamin D - which your body produces from being out in the sun - reduces diabetes risk. Not only that, but sunlight exposure also reduces diabetes risk beyond just vitamin D. So get outside in the sun daily.
Diabetes can be beaten if you have the will to fight it. Study after study has shown that nearly all cases of type 2 diabetes can be successfully treated using the steps I’ve outlined above.
If you do not have diabetes, then start following these simple guidelines today to protect yourself.
If you do have diabetes, consult with your doctor to make these changes slowly and safely.